Thursday, March 20, 2008

Watching what I say....

Wow, I had no idea I would be at this stage already. Things really start to change when everything you say is being absorbed by little ears. I really thought I wouldn't have to worry about this until closer to two. It amazes me everyday when I say something to Carlysle and she responds with a word or reaction and it's very clear she UNDERSTANDS me. She also is repeating words we say without being prompted. Sorry if this is long but I wanted to record some of the things she is doing so I don't forget. Here are a few examples:

Yesterday, something fell out of the closest on top of me (which is a daily occurence and the reason we are buying a new house) and I said "Crap" having no idea she had just entered the room and was standing behind me. All the sudden I hear a little voice say, "Crop". My mouth just dropped and then I had to do damage control and say "Oh no, we don't say that". Which I'm sure was really confusing to her at this age because she's probably thinking "Yes we do, I just heard you."

The day before I put her down for her afternoon nap and she had been in the crib for about an hour just playing, then crying, then playing, etc. So I finally went in there and was leaning over the crib talking to her, thinking she had no idea what I was saying. I should add that she still has a passy but only gets it during naps and at night (and during the occasional meltdown at Target). So back to me having a "discussion" with her. She was just staring at me, sucking on the passy as I was leaning in the crib saying "So this is how it's going to be today, you're just not going to nap, you're just thinking you've had with this nap thing and maybe you just want to play. Well, you know you can't keep passy if you're not going nite, nite. You know the rules. If you want to get up and play you have to give passy up." She looked up at me, popped that passy out of her mouth and set it down in the crib. Then stood up and reached her arms out for me to get her out. I just stood there and thought.....no way.

She also has gotten into the habit of praising herself for good behavior. When she does something like says please or thank you or hands you something she knows she's not supposed to have we say "Good Girl". She always repeats us and quickly learned that she is being praised for something she did. So now she doesn't even wait for us to say it. The other day she picked up a dirty diaper that was wrapped up on her dresser and was carrying it around. I said, "Carlysle that's yucky, can you please go put that in the trash". She marched right over to the trash can dropped it in, shut the lid and then turned around clapped for herself and said "Good Girl". Now if she closes any door, drawer or cabinet she says, "Good Girl". Even if it's the TV armoire doors and we're watching the TV. I guess it's because she never gets rewarded when she opens doors because she's not supposed to be in them. It just when she closes them after I say, "No mam, get out of there."

2 comments:

Bree said...

How cute!!

Betsy Marchant said...

That's so neat! I love it when they get to that age!