Monday, October 08, 2007

Eggs, Eggs, Eggs....

This post is especially for new Moms with children under 12 months old and those who haven't had kids yet. This morning I woke up all excited to make scramble eggs for Carlysle. For those who don't have kids yet there are some foods that you can't give a child until they are a year old to avoid food allergies. Eggs is one of them. Well since Carlysle will be 1 tomorrow I thought it would fun to skip her normal oatmeal and banana. It was going great....she loved the eggs...of course. Then I noticed her chin was breaking out. I called Joey and he said just to keep an eye on it. Well it seemed to go away. So later we were in the den playing with her new toys and she looked up at me and I literally jumped and said "Whoa, that's not good". I know, not good for a girl's ego. It was literally like the scene from "Hitch" where Will Smith swells up from shellfish. I took her to her room to change her diaper and check out the rest of her. When I removed her pants I freaked. She was covered in hives and a rash.....at the same time her eyes were swelling, her nose was HUGE, and her face matched the hot pink onesie she was wearing. I called Joey and he said put in the car and bring her up here.

I took her to Joey's office having had no shower and looking quite scary. Which was really my last concern but no one wants to go see all of their husband's co-workers fresh out of bed. Anyway, I could tell by Joey's non-freaking out, calm voice that he didn't think it was that bad. I could also tell b/c I waited in the hall for him forever. Children were walking by staring at Carlysle in horror. Their parents were having to turn them away like "Look Away, Look Away". When Joey walked out into the hall, his mouth dropped. He finally said, "now I know why you were so upset."

So all the nurses were also freaking out. In fact, different ones kept coming in the room saying I heard about Carlysle's rash and had to come see it. Great. Everyone said it was quite impressive. When she does it, she does it right. So she had to get steroids and is going to see an allergist in the morning. We have to confirm it was the eggs b/c.....I also gave her strawberries. I should have just chased that down with a little honey and some peanuts.

So I did take a few pictures before I left the house but looking back they don't show it very well and by the time I got to the hospital it was 10 times worse....I promise.








0 comments: